Starting Fall 2024, the North Star Promise (NSP) Scholarship Program will provide eligible Minnesota residents a tuition-free path to a college education.
What costs does North Star Promise (NSP) cover?
- NSP is a "last-dollar" program, which means it will cover all tuition and fee costs that remain after scholarships, grants, and tuition waivers have been applied.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Be a Minnesota resident
- Have a family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act Application below $80,000.
- Attend a Minnesota public higher education institution or Tribal College
- Not be in default on a state or federal student loan
- Be enrolled taking at least one credit
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards
- Have not already earned a bachelor's degree
- Be enrolled in a program or course of study that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate
How do I apply?
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act Application.
- There is no additional application beyond the FAFSA or Minnesota Dream Act Application. NHCC will assess your eligibility on a term-by-term basis and award NSP Scholarships to all eligible students.
To be eligible, do I need to be a "new student" for the fall 2024 semester?
- No, the program is open to new and returning students who qualify and will continue to be calculated on a term-by-term basis.
What's the maximum amount I could receive?
- There are no maximum award amounts, but there are credit limits: 60 credits for an associate degree and 120 credits for a bachelor's degree.
Are NHCC students eligible for NSP?
- Yes, NHCC students who meet the eligibility requirements can get their tuition and fee costs covered through the NSP.
What if I still have questions?
- Contact NHCC Financial Aid at email@example.com or visit the Minnesota Office of Higher Education website.