Starting Fall 2024, the North Star Promise (NSP) Scholarship Program will provide eligible Minnesota residents a tuition-free path to a college education.
North Star Promise Overview
What costs does North Star Promise (NSP) cover?
- NSP is a "last-dollar" program, which means it will cover all tuition and fee costs that remain after scholarships, grants, and tuition waivers have been applied.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Be a Minnesota resident
- Have a family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act Application below $80,000.
- Attend a Minnesota public higher education institution or Tribal College
- Not be in default on a state or federal student loan
- Be enrolled taking at least one credit
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards
- Have not already earned a bachelor's degree
- Be enrolled in a program or course of study that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate
How do I apply?
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act Application.
- There is no additional application beyond the FAFSA or Minnesota Dream Act Application. NHCC will assess your eligibility on a term-by-term basis and award NSP Scholarships to all eligible students.
To be eligible, do I need to be a "new student" for the fall 2024 semester?
- No, the program is open to new and returning students who qualify and will continue to be calculated on a term-by-term basis.
If I'm eligible, will college be completely free?
NSP is a "last-dollar" program, which means it will cover all tuition and eligible fee costs that remain after scholarships, grants, and tuition waivers have been applied. There are other costs that are not covered by NSP. This includes the cost of textbooks, course materials, course supplies, and other costs related to being a student.
What's the maximum amount I could receive?
- There are no maximum award amounts, but there are credit limits: 60 credits for an associate degree and 120 credits for a bachelor's degree.
Are NHCC students eligible for the North Star Promise?
- Yes, NHCC students who meet the eligibility requirements can get their tuition and fee costs covered through the NSP.
What if I don't qualify for the North Star Promise?
If you're not eligible for free college tuition through the NSP program, here are a few things you should know:
- Grants: At NHCC, 48% of eligible students receive grants that average more than $3,500. Find out if you're eligible for grants by completing the FAFSA.
- Scholarships: Last year, 50% of scholarship applicants at NHCC received a scholarship of $500-$5,000. Find out how and when to apply for scholarships.
- Tuition Freeze: There's a tuition freeze at NHCC through 2025, which means there will be no tuition increases through 2025.
- NHCC is one of the most affordable colleges in Minnesota:
What if I still have questions?
- Contact NHCC Financial Aid at email@example.com or visit the Minnesota Office of Higher Education website.