This page contains guidance and resources to help students access Wi-Fi on campus, use the learning management system D2L-Brightspace and the Zoom video conferencing app, and much more. There are also low-cost Internet connectivity and computer options available.
Follow these instructions to connect your device(s) to campus Wi-Fi.
NHCC Loaner Laptops
If you do not have access to a computer at home to do your coursework, you can apply for a NHCC loaner laptop.
NHCC Loaner Laptop – Tech Services has a limited supply of computers available to borrow for the semester. Laptops can only be loaned to enrolled students who are registered for class in the current term.
If you would like to request a loaner laptop, please complete this form to create a ticket with Tech Services: Ticket
Low-Cost Home Computers
- PCs for People - This non-profit organization sells refurbished technology at a major discount to low-income households. Please see eligibility requirements.
Tech Discounts - Tech Discounts minimizes environmental impact by promoting reuse before recycling through Tech Dump, so we offer high quality refurbished and vintage electronics along with new. They have an online store as well as retail locations in Golden Valley and St Paul.
Wanlainjo - This non-profit org seeks to empower African immigrants in Minnesota, offering computer/digital literacy classes, and sells/potentially donates computers. Check out their site.
Access to Shared Computers
- NHCC Computer Lab – Students may access the computer lab located in Center for Business & Technology (CBT 158). Visit the Technology Services webpage for hours.
- City of Minneapolis – Several community centers have public computer labs as well as technology classes for residents.
- Hennepin County Library - Library card holders have access to free Wi-Fi and shared computers.
Other Campus Technology Resources
- Virtual Computer – If you need access to some of the software your class uses, but you cannot get it on your computer (ideal for Chromebook or Mac users), you can spin up a virtual computer via your web browser. It’s really easy and super cool!
- Remote Access – You can also access an on-campus computer to get access to software and Microsoft programs (ideal for Chromebook or Mac users).
- NHCC Wi-Fi – Students can access free Wi-Fi throughout NHCC campus buildings and in parking lots (stronger signal closer to buildings). On device, select eduroam network, then login with StarID@go.minnstate.edu.
- USI Wireless – Minneapolis residents and visitors can access the Internet for free from 117 "Wireless Minneapolis" hotspots throughout the city (view map). Look for the wireless network connection called "USIW Free Wifi" with your computer or wireless Internet capable-device. A credit card number is required to log in for security purposes but there is no charge.
- Charter Communications is offering low-cost high-speed broadband to low-income households through their Spectrum Internet Assist program as well as monthly credits through the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program.
- Comcast is offering their Internet Essentials package free for new, low-income customers for the first 60 days of - offer ends December 31, 2021. There is also an option to buy a Dell laptop or Chromebook for only $149.99 + tax once you’re enrolled in the Internet Essential package. Comcast is also participating in the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program that will offer monthly credit to eligible customers.
- Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots across the country are available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers (find one near you).
- MIDCO Lifeline - Lifeline is a federal program intended to put a home phone and internet service within the reach of qualifying families – giving low-income households affordable home phone or internet access.
Cell Phone Hotspots
Check with your cell provider for offers they may have to add a mobile hotspot to your plan, many of which are temporarily at no charge.
NHCC has a limited supply of hotspots available to students. Please reach out to CARECenter@nhcc.edu for more information with the title: Cell Phone Hot Spot. These are available on a first come, first served basis.
Use eServices to check your class schedule, review your financial aid and billing, update contact information and view final grades. Contact Records & Registration for assistance at 763-424-0719 or email@example.com
All students receive an NHCC email account through Microsoft Outlook, and it serves as the official form of communication from the college. Click here to log-in , add “@go.minnstate.edu” after your StarID, and enter your password.
E-mail on my Phone
The Office 365 Help Site provides instructions and wizards to assist you in sending email to your phone. Use the “Mobile Phone Setup Wizard”. Additional information you will need:
Domain/Username = StarID@go.minnstate.edu
(*if DOMAIN and USERNAME are separate fields, leave DOMAIN blank and enter the information in the USERNAME field)
Password = your StarID password
Server Name = outlook.office365.com
(*sometimes using “bluprd0210.outlook.com” works instead)
- NHCC Mobile App– connect with students, find out about events, and provides quick access to email and D2L. Search ‘North Hennepin Community College’ at your app store.
- Navigate Student App– connect with instructors, schedule appointments with Advising or Tutoring, access your class schedule and more. Search ‘Navigate Student App’ at your app store. Contact Academic Advising for assistance at 763-424-0703 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Microsoft Office Products (Office 365)– access Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive & more through Office 365. Visit the Microsoft Office for Personal Use webpage for more information.
- Virtual Computer Lab – access additional software including 7-Zip, Adobe products, BlueJ, Cisco Jabber, EFax, and web browsers. Log in with your StarID and password.
- Kaltura MediaSpace Video Portal – upload your video homework. Log in with your StarID and password.
- Infobase Learning Cloud – access step-by-step technology tutorials on computer skills, web browsers, software and OS X operating systems. Log in with your StarID and password.
Access & Navigation
- Login to D2L Brightspace (use your StarID and password)
- How to navigate the D2L Brightspace Login and Home page
- How to navigate a course homepage in D2L Brightspace
- How to find course materials in Content
- How to submit to the Assignments tool
- How to submit a picture from your phone to Assignments (PDF)
- How to submit a picture from your phone to Assignments (Video)
- How to submit a video link to Assignments (PDF)
- How submit a video from Kaltura MediaSpace to Assignments (PDF)
- How to a quiz in D2L Brightspace (Video)