College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Test
The College Level Examination Program® (CLEP®) is a credit-by-examination program that allows people to demonstrate mastery of college-level material and earn college credit. To help prepare for a CLEP exam, most public libraries and bookstores carry CLEP study guides. Study guides can also be purchased from the College Board.
- Tests are 90 minutes with the exception of the College Composition which is 120 minutes.
- You can retest after three months from the date of purchase.
- Students may take no more than two exams in one day. You will be unable to take breaks during your exam unless you have been granted accommodations from the College Board.
- CLEP credits are granted for passing scores; see NHCC course equivalencies. Each institution determines how many CLEP credits are accepted. Before testing, contact the college Registrar to find out how CLEP credits are accepted.
- Purchase and register for the CLEP Test online.
- Each CLEP exam is $90 and study materials can also be purchased from the College Board.
- Payment options include MasterCard, Visa, Discover or electronic check. Refunds are available up to 7 days from the date of purchase with the exception of redeemed exams.
- Print your CLEP registration ticket to bring with you on the date of your exam appointment. CLEP Registration tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
- Schedule an appointment in RegisterBlast and pay $25 proctor fee online. Appointments for CLEP exams must be scheduled 2 days in advance, we do not accept walk-in testing.
- The Testing Center administers CLEP exams Monday through Friday. Days and times are available in RegisterBlast.
- Hours are subject to change during term breaks and finals weeks. The Testing Center is located in the Educational Services building.
- Bring a government issued ID (driver's license, passport, identification card, etc.), and your CLEP registration ticket when you come to NHCC for your exam. If you did not pay the $25 proctor fee online, you will need to pay the fee at the Accounting and Fees office before testing.
- Official test results are displayed after each test. Results of essay exams are mailed to the student from CLEP within three weeks after the test date. Test-takers can send their score report to an institution of their choosing free of charge if they select the recipients at the time of testing/registration. After the exam day, you can have an official transcript sent to the institution of your choice by using the transcript order form at the bottom of your score printout. CLEP charges a $20 fee for this service.
NHCC CLEP Credit Information
- NHCC does not limit the number of CLEP credits a student may earn. The CLEP test - NHCC course equivalencies can meet degree requirements and Goal areas but do not receive a grade and will not apply to GPA.
- The number of transfer credits awarded for CLEP exams appear on your NHCC transcript.
- CLEP credits do not satisfy NHCC residency requirements for graduation.