The Advising Office provides support services to students on Academic Warning, Suspension and Probation.  Advisors can help you: understand your status, answer questions about the appeal process and develop strategies to improve your academic success. Please see the righthand column for definitions of Warning, Suspension and Probation.

Students on Academic/Financial Aid Warning

While on academic warning, it is recommended that a student meet with a counselor or an advisor to help the student to identify specific barriers to success and learn about availabl resources.

Students on Academic/Financial Aid Suspension

North Hennepin Community College and Minnesota State Board Policy 2.9 require that all students make satisfactory academic progress towards a degree, diploma or certificate to remain in good academic standing. The College also believes that students are responsible for their own academic progress and for seeking assistance when experiencing academic difficulty. However, occasionally a student’s failure to make satisfactory academic progress is due to extenuating circumstances; therefore, we have developed an appeal process for these situations.

Appeal Process: 

Complete an Appeal for Academic/Financial Suspension. Follow all directions and submit your appeal before the deadline. You will be notified via email of the appeal outcome within 7-10 business days.  If your academic suspension appeal is approved, and your financial aid suspension appeal is denied, you are responsible for full payment of your tuition and fees. If you choose not to attend you are responsible for dropping your classes by the drop deadline. 

Appeal Criteria

The following criteria is considered as a basis for an appeal request:

  • Medical or mental health issues – A doctor’s statement on letterhead is required as documentation.
  • A death in the immediate family – father, mother, child/dependent or sibling. Documentation required: death certificate or obituary notice stating your name.
  • Military call for active duty – Copy of official military orders is required for documentation.
  • Family/relationship issues (i.e. abusive relationship) – Legal documentation required.
  • Disability issues not previously diagnosed or documented – Verified documentation must be included.
  • Natural Disaster: Flood, fire or tornado – Insurance verification required.
  • Loss of Job – Unemployment verification, W-2, termination letter from employer required for documentation.
  • Other – extenuating or unusual circumstances that prevented you from succeeding academically, include documentation.

The following criteria are NOT considered extenuating: 

  • Lack of funds
  • Employment scheduling issues
  • Change in marital status
  • Child care issues
  • Transportation issues
  • Lack of knowledge about college policy
  • Failure to correctly process web registration activity
  • Dissatisfaction with instructor and/or course
  • Failure to follow pre-requisites or placement results 

Students reinstated on probation (approved appeals) are required to:

  • Meet with an advisor in person to review the terms of their appeal before registering for classes.
  • Follow the credit limitations and course requirements determined by the appeal committee.
  • Earn at least a 2.5 term GPA and 75% term completion rate during their probationary term.
  • Complete Mid-Term Self Evaluation Report for each class with their instructors. 
  • Meet with a counselor or advisor at mid-term to discuss the completed self evaluation forms.
  • Attend campus workshops.
  • Other requirements as assigned by the committee.

Future registration at NHCC may be prevented for students who do not meet the requirements of their appeal.

Transfer Student Suspension Appeals

Minnesota State system procedure 3.4.1 states that students suspended at any Minnesota State institution are not eligible for admission to other system schools during the term of their suspension.  After you have applied for admission to NHCC, if you are denied admission based on a suspension at another Minnesota State college or university, you may appeal by submitting a Transfer Admission Appeal form.  Students appealing suspension in transfer should appeal to the institution they plan to attend, and should submit appeals by the deadline.

If a student wishes to contest an appeal decision, they may submit a new appeal with additional documentation for further review. Final appeals will be routed to the Vice President of Student Success.