Students who plan to transfer in to NHCC must complete the following steps to ensure a smooth transfer process:


Apply for admission and pay the one-time, non-refundable $20 application fee. 

Transfer of Credit

Arrange to have all transcripts and/or official records (from other institutions or exams you have previously attended or are currently attending) sent directly to NHCC. North Hennepin Community College will review official transcripts from colleges and universities as well as other types of transfer credits including the following: 
  • All transcripts will be evaluated for credit and prerequisite completion by a transfer specialist. The Transfer Specialists evaluate your transfer credit using Minnesota State and NHCC policy, which includes a 75% matching rule. A transfer course must match the credit amount, content, and rigor at 75% in order for it to be transferred in as equivalent to an NHCC course. Please allow two to three weeks for an evaluation; you will receive your evaluation via email.
  • E-transcripts from other Minnesota State Colleges and Universities will be automatically retrieved for your convenience. A list of all Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is available here.
  • Non-MN State transcripts must be mailed to: 

       Records & Registration
       North Hennepin Community College
       7411 85th Ave. N.
       Brooklyn Park, MN 55445

  • If your institution is sending your transcript electronically, send to
  • International Credits: If you have completed courses in another country, you must order a course-by-course evaluation from a NACES member credential evaluation service. These services are independent from NHCC and are provided for the convenience of NHCC students. Students are responsible for contacting the appropriate credential evaluation agency for any questions regarding their evaluation request. Students should make arrangements for the evaluation to be sent to NHCC for further evaluation. Below are examples of credential evaluation agencies that NHCC students use to evaluate their international credits - though NHCC accepts an evaluation report from any NACES member credential evaluation agency.

         Educational Credential Evaluators FAQ

         World Education Services How To Apply Video

         SpanTran Application for Credential Evaluation

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Credits: NHCC awards credit for AP exam scores of 3 or higher. Contact College Board to hae your official scores submitted. Use Transferology or the AP & NHCC Equivalencies Guide to see how AP credits transfer into NHCC. 
  • CLEP: NHCC awards credit for CLEP examinations with passing scores. Visit the Testing Center CLEP website  or Transferology for further information. (Make sure to choose Standardized Exams when using View CLEP and NHCC Equivalencies Guide.
  • DSST(DANTES): NHCC awards credit for DSST (DANTES) examinations with passing scores. Visit Transferology for the equivalent course guide. (Make sure to choose Standardized Exams when using
  • International Baccalaureate (IB):  NHCC awards credit for Standard Level (SL) and Higher Level (HL) IB examination with a score of 4 or higher. Check the IB Credit Equivalency Guide to see how we award credit. (make sure to choose Standardized Exams when using
  • Military Credits:  NHCC awards credit for military training based on ACE recommendations. Find out more about how military credit transfers to colleges or universities in the Minnesota State system.
  • Paralegal Credits: Special requirement for the transfer of legal specialty credits into the NHCC Paralegal Program  

Placement Testing

If you have not completed a college-level composition or mathematics course, or plan to pursue a health career, arrange to take your placement test.


 Attend an orientation. Orientation is required of all new students before registration. You will meet with advisors who can explain how your credits transfer in to NHCC.    

Transfer Tools

  • DARS (Degree Audit Report System) - You can retrieve an audit that charts your progress towards a  degree. Here are some instructions on How to Read a DARS Report.
  • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MNTC) - The MNTC provides the general education requirements of the Associate f Arts degree and the career programs at NHCC. It is an agreement among MN public institutions that aids in transfer among MN public colleges & universities.
  • Transferology - A free, web-based transfer tool that provides fast and accurate course and transfer equivalency information.
  • Transfer Terms – A useful glossary of commonly used terms in transfer.

Transfer Appeal Process

If you are not satisfied with decisions made about how your coursework will transfer, you may appeal the decision.

First, meet with an Academic Advisor and bring course outlines or syllabi. You may have to complete a Appeal Degree or Transfer Requirements form for the Academic Dean. Call 763-424-0703 to schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor.

If not satisfied with the outcome, you may appeal further to the NHCC Provost. Call 763-424-0863 to set up an appointment. 

To appeal the decision of the NHCC Provost, you may appeal to the System Director for Transfer and Degree Audit Support within the Minnesota State System Office. The decision reached by the Senior Vice Chancellor is final. The procedure for System Office appeal is located under MinnStateBoard Procedure 3.21.1.