Copyrights, Intellectual Property, and Scholarly Works
North Hennepin Community College acknowledges and abides by all copyright and intellectual property laws and guidelines.
Unless usage of a copyrighted work falls under the definition of Fair Use, written permission must be obtained from the copyright holder before using/reproducing the item.
Faculty retain intellectual property rights on scholarly works they created for the classroom, including but not limited to course syllabi, instructional materials and lectures, and students must obtain prior written permission from their creator to use/reproduce these works.
Students are not permitted to make audio or video recordings of a lecture or class without prior written permission of the instructor.
Related Policies and Resources
- Minnesota State Board Policy 3.26 Intellectual Property
- Minnesota State Board Policy 3.27 Reproduction and Use of All Copyrighted Materials
- Minnesota State Copyright Guideline
- NHCC Coursepack Policy
- Copyright and Movies
- Guidelines for Classroom Copying
- Permission Form for Copying Student Papers (PDF)
- Sample Letter for Requesting Copyright Permission (doc)