The Post Secondary Enrollment Options - Career & Technical Education (PSEO-CTE) program allows high school students the opportunity to earn college credit and use those credits toward the completion of high school graduation requirements. PSEO-CTE students can take ONE approved course per semester at NHCC.
Eligibility for PSEO-CTE (Career & Technical Education)
- Open to high school sophomores, juniors, or seniors.
- Students must have passed the 8th grade MCA (Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment) reading exam. Current 10th grade students who did not take the 8th grade MCA reading exam may substitute a college level Reading score from the ACCUPLACER placement test.
- Students who have taken, but not passed, the 8th grade MCA exam, are not eligible for CTE.
- Students must also meet the specific course requirements and prerequisites of the CTE course in which they wish to enroll.
- Private school students are not eligible to enroll in PSEO CTE courses.
- If the participating student receives a grade of 'C' or better in their first CTE course, they are eligible to take up to two general education courses the next semester.
Click here for information about Minnesota State PSEO eligibility requirements.
PSEO-CTE Application Steps
1. Complete and submit ALL application documents together
Before submitting your application, check that you have included all the required documents below. Incomplete applications will result in a delay of notice of PSEO eligibility.
- CTE Application - Complete online admission application
- Notice of Student Registration (MN State form)- Signed by the student, parent/guardian and high school official
- Official High School Transcripts that include the most recent semester grades
- 8th grade reading MCA scores
All application materials can be e-mailed to email@example.com. Transcripts must be sent from a counselor or school official's school e-mail address to be considered official. Transcripts are also accepted electronically via Parchment, Naviance, SendEdu, etc. For this option, you may need the assistance of a school official.
2. Complete online orientation and attend a PSEO Registration Session
- All PSEO-CTE students must attend the required registration session.
- Student must be accompanied by parent or guardian.
Approved Courses for PSEO Career and Technical Education
BUS 1100 Introduction to Business and the American Economy
BUS 1110 Human Relations & Professional Skills
BUS 1440 Personal Financial Planning
BUS 1810 Entrepreneurship
BUS 2100 Business Statistics
BUS 2200 Principles of Management
BUS 2600 Principles of Marketing
CIS 1000 Electronic Keyboarding Communications
CIS 1101 Business Computer Systems I
CIS 1200 Word Processing
CIS 1230 Business Presentation PowerPoint
CIS 1300 Introduction to the Internet
CIS 1310 The Whole Internet
CIS 1500 Developing Computer Keyboarding Skills
CIS 1510 Introduction to Computers and Basic Word Processing
CIS 1520 Spreadsheets
CIS 1530 Business Graphics
CSCI 1000 Computer Basics
CSCI 1020 Beginning Web Page Programming
ENGR 1000 Introduction to Engineering and Design
EXSC 1010 Physical Fitness - *mandatory heart rate monitor to be paid for by student
EXSC 1750 Yoga for Life
EXSC 1250 Wellness for Life
HLTH 1000 Introduction to Mindfulness
HLTH 1010 Health Terminology
HLTH 1030 Personal and Community Health
HLTH 1040 Current Health Issues and Health Behavior
HLTH 1050 Stress Management
HLTH 1060 Drugs and Health
HLTH 1070 Nutrition
HLTH 1080 Consumer Health
HLTH 1100 Responding to Emergencies - First Aid
HLTH 1250 Wellness for Life
HLTH 1900 Healthy Sexuality
3. Transitioning from CTE to Regular PSEO for 11th Grade
Students wanting to transition to regular PSEO, after CTE, for 11th grade, must submit an updated high school transcript and meet the 2.75+ GPA requirement for acceptance. Students below a 2.75 GPA will need to continue with CTE until their GPA meets the PSEO acceptance criteria.
Admissions and Outreach Office
Educational Services Building
PSEO Application Deadlines
Fall Semester 2023
Priority: April 15, 2023
Final: July 1, 2023
Spring Semester 2024
Priority: November 1, 2023
Final: December 1, 2023
All documentation must be submitted/completed before the deadline. If placement testing is required, that must be done prior to the deadline.