In order to access your online course, you must have the appropriate system components. In addition to the items listed here, you will need access to the internet and email for your online courses.
You will be more successful in your online course if you have Microsoft Office Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access. If you are using another word processing application, you will need to save your documents as an .RTF (rich text format) in order for your instructors to open and review your work. NHCC has teamed up with Microsoft to offer current students free Microsoft Office 365. Contact the computer support help desk if you have questions.
This section contains links to software that you may want to use for your online courses. NHCC is not responsible for the content contained in any of these websites. They are provided as a possible resource list. In addition, we strongly recommend that you purchase anti-virus software for your computer.
NHCC online courses require a web browser be installed on your computer.
Adobe Reader - Software for viewing and printing Adobe PDF files.
Microsoft Office 365
Free Office 365 for students - NHCC has teamed up with Microsoft to offer current students free products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more!
This plan allows students to install Microsoft Office 365 Education products on up to five devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, iPads, and other mobile devices, and remains active until graduation.
To install, students must do a one-time verification and authentication process using their StarID @my.nhcc.edu email.
Visit Office 365 for more information and instructions.
Technical Skills Required To Learn
- Comfortably use a computer
- Perform basic navigation - minimize and maximize Windows; use the forward and back browser functions
- Create, save, scan, print, and manage computer files
- Copy and paste information using the clipboard
- Understand a browser is used to surf the internet, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Explorer, Safari or Mozilla Firefox
- Upload documents by browsing your computer files
- Understand CTRL+C, CTRL+V and CTRL+P (copy, paste, print functions) short-cut keys to save time
- Comfortably use the internet, as well as, research internet information
- Understand Google searches and know material used in college must not be plagiarized
- Send and receive email messages and include attachments to email
- Use word processing software and or spreadsheet software
- Have a computer with internet access or come to NHCC's computer labs to login to classes
- Take a quiz to determine if you are ready for online learning.
Want to gain skills and learn technology used in online courses to better prepare you for your academic journey? Consider taking CSCI 1000 Computer Basics class.