Below are links to useful internet resources by subject:
General Business Information
- Hoover's Online - Always an excellent source for basic corporate and industry information, this site now also provides a business-oriented perspective on topics such as financial planning, career development, and business travel.
- Thomas Register
- Annual Report Gallery - Access to more than 2,000 annual reports and other corporate information.
- Bloomberg - This site offers coverage of U.S. and world financial markets, advice on personal finance, as well as business, travel, and lifestyle tips and articles.
- Marketing Virtual Library
- Office.com - Templates with information on starting, running, and promoting a small business.
- Advertising World Directory
- Family Business Resources - A searchable Website devoted to family businesses and their owners.
Online Business Publications
- Education Index - An annotated guide to the best education-related websites on the Internet.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- iseek.org - A site sponsored by the State of Minnesota that provides a wealth of information about education, employment, and career opportunities in the North Star State.
- National Center for Education Statistics
- Colleges and Universities - Provides links to more than 2,000 American universities and community colleges.
- College Board - Information about college tests such as the SAT and CLEP, as well as a complete guide to the college application process.
- Peterson's Education Supersite - Provides information about college testing and admissions, areas of study, financial aid, and much more.
- University of Michigan Documents Center - Provides both national and international government information.
- Directory of World Governments
- The European Union
- The United Nations
United States Government
General/Consumer Health Sites
- The Mayo Clinic - A site providing links to all types of health information.
- MedlinePlus - Provides information about diseases, drugs and supplements, general wellness, and directories of medical and health resources.
- PubMed - Provides (primarily) abstract-level access to more than 16,000,000 articles from biomedical journals.
- PDRhealth - A general medical and health care Website created by the publishers of the esteemed Physician's Desk Reference. Also includes a link to MEDLINE, as well as drug information and a medical dictionary.
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American Dental Association
- American Heart Association
- American Medical Association
- American Nurses Association
- World Health Organization
Government Health Sites
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Food and Drug Administration
- HealthFinder - Healthfinder links to carefully selected information and Web sites from over 1,500 health-related organizations.
- National Institutes of Health
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Hennepin County Library
- University of Minnesota Libraries
- St. Cloud State University Library
- Library of Congress
- OCLC WorldCat - A single, shared catalog of materials in the world's libraries.
- American Library Association
- Great Books Online - An enormous site that provides access to the writings of such celebrated authors as William Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, T.S. Eliot, Jane Austen, Booker T. Washington, and more. Their Reference Shelf lists the King James Version of the Bible, the Columbia Encyclopedia, and Gray's Anatomy among its offerings.
- Representative Poetry Online - This fully-indexed site contains the texts of over 3,000 poems by more than 500 significant poets. Also contains a helpful glossary of poetic terminology and a historical timeline of poetry.
- Luminarium - A collection of Medieval, Renaissance, and 17th century literature. Each author entry includes a biographical description and a bibliography of related critical essays.
- Literary Resources on the Net - Look here for an electronic version of a specific work of American or British literature.
- Encyclopedia Mythica - An online encyclopedia of mythology, folklore, and legend.
- Folklore, Myth, and Legend - A links page to the folk tales and legends of the world.
- National Public Radio
- Twin Cities Public Television
- Channel 4 (WCCO)
- Channel 5 (KSTP)
- Channel 11 (KARE)
- Minnesota Newspapers Directory
- Brooklyn Park Sun Post
- Osseo-Maple Grove Press
- Minneapolis Star Tribune
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- New York Times
- USA Today
- The Wall Street Journal - *Access to this newspaper requires a subscription
- The Minnesota Daily - The student newspaper of the University of Minnesota.
- RefDesk - A web site that indexes and reviews web-based resources.
- Info please - Includes an almanac, dictionaries, maps, and current events coverage.
- Onelook - An index to more than 600 separate dictionaries.
- American Heritage Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Roget's Thesaurus
- Old Farmer's Almanac
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations
- CIA World Factbook - Both this site and the next provide excellent profiles of the nations of the world, including demographic, historical, political, economic, and geographical information.
- Country Studies
- Anywho - Use this site to find addresses and phone numbers of individuals and businesses.
- Switchboard - Another address and phone number search site.
- Internet Movie Database - Everything you ever wanted to know about films, movies, actors, directors, etc.
- Zip Code Lookup
- United States Census
- Minnesota Quick Facts