The students at North Hennepin Community College (NHCC) represent a rich diversity, with nearly fifty percent identifying as students of color. NHCC students feel at home and the campus culture is participatory and collaborative in nature. Established over 50 years ago, NHCC is committed to offering programs that are responsive to the needs of the marketplace and its diverse student body.
Offering 70 academic programs to over 10,000 students, North Hennepin Community College welcomes its students and values its employees. The college has a strong and rich history of liberal arts education and career programs, and an outstanding record of academic scholarship among the talented faculty. The thriving campus is also home to more than 75 clubs and organizations supporting a largely part-time student body with co-curricular and recreational activities. A commitment to diversity and inclusion is apparent through a variety of multicultural programs and sustainability initiatives on campus, including six student-led initiatives focused on empowering leadership among indigenous students and students of color, as well as students representing a wide-range of cultural identities. Additional opportunities on campus include intramural sports and recreation programs, the Community Connections Resource Center, and L.E.A.D., a program to develop leadership, life and job-related skills.
Contributing to the Minnesota Economy
- The FY 17 overall combined economic contribution of NHCC in Minnesota is $272.5 million. This includes a direct impact of $140.9 million and indirect/induced impact of $131.6 million.
- Operational and capital spending in the State of Minnesota generates $101.4 million of the total impact and $171.1 million in impact from student and visitor spending.
Supporting and Sustaining Jobs in the State
- North Hennepin Community College directly employs 477 people.
- North Hennepin Community College supports more than 2,360 Minnesota jobs (1,483 direct and 877 indirect/induced).
Students and Alumni in the State Generate Additional Impact
The alumni of NHCC living and working in the Twin Cities metro total more than 14,000. Assuming that a career lasts for 40 years, North Hennepin Community College alumni currently living in Minnesota will have contributed nearly $3.2 billion in impact over the span of their careers.
Beyond economics, alumni of North Hennepin Community College distinguish themselves in their communities through their civic, professional, or personal accomplishments. In fact, NHCC has been formally celebrating alumni accomplishments since 1990 through the establishment of the Distinguished Alumnus Award. Today, the award is presented at the college’s annual BOLD Leadership Summit that offers alumni, employees, students, and community members the opportunity for learning, encouragement, and networking.
Making a Difference in the Community and State
This is an engaged and community-oriented campus. Annually, the campus typically hosts over 350 events, including fine and performing arts events, cultural community celebrations, national and state-wide conferences, and job fairs. Whatever the occasion, the organic and family atmosphere on campus is often at the center of it.
An estimated $3.8 million in charitable donations and volunteer services is generated annually by North Hennepin Community College faculty, staff, and students.
- $749,978 donated to local charitable organizations by North Hennepin Community College staff, faculty and students.
- $3.1 million of volunteer time by North Hennepin Community College faculty, staff and students.