Name: Official Communication Policy
Effective Date: 26 May 2021
Next Review Date: AY 2025–2026
- Minnesota State Board Policy 5.22 and System Procedure 5.22.1 – Acceptable Use of Computers and Information Technology Resources
- Minnesota State Board Policy 5.25 – Use of Electronic Signatures
- Minnesota Statutes 43A.38, Subd.4 and 43.A39, Subd.2 – State Personnel Management
Part 1. Policy Background.
North Hennepin Community College (NHCC) provides email, the NHCC mobile app, and text-based communication resources to students and employees in support of its mission to enhance lifelong learning by improving students' understanding and utilization of computing resources and information technology. NHCC intends to provide the campus community with open and unrestricted avenues of communication as long as such use is in compliance with state and federal laws, and other NHCC and Minnesota State Board policies. The use of NHCC’s computer systems and networks is a privilege and responsibility granted to employees and students. NHCC expects all members of its community to comply with all relevant laws and policies, and to use these resources appropriately. As with all electronic communication, users of the NHCC email system and app must adhere to Federal and State Law, Minnesota State Board Policy and System Procedures, and NHCC policy and procedure related to privacy and confidentiality in communicating sensitive material.
NHCC has designated email as the official means of communication with students and employees regarding topics of an academic or administrative nature. The college issued email address will be the only address NHCC uses when sending official communication via email. Students who are enrolled and employees who are scheduled to work are responsible for all information sent to them via their NHCC email account. Messages sent from the NHCC email account fulfill electronic signature requirements.
Part 2. Campus Review.
Review Action: Date(s)
Campus Community Review Period: 5 Mar 2021–26 Mar 2021
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Review: 3 May 2021
AFSCME Review: 5 Apr 2021–14 May 2021
MAPE Review: 5 Apr 2021–14 May 2021
MMA Review: 5 Apr 2021–14 May 2021
Shared Governance Council Review: 14 May 2021
Student Senate Review: 29 April 2021
President Rolando Garcia Approval: 26 May 2021
Campus Community Dissemination: 14 June 2021
- New policy, adopted 27-Aug-2012
- Campus Review 21-Mar-2012 through 04-Apr-2012
- AFSCME Review 26-Apr-2012
- MAPE Review 05-Apr-2012
- MMA Review 05-Apr-2012
- Shared Governance Council Review 25-May-2012
- Student Senate Review 26-Apr-2012
- President Approval 04-Jun-2012
- Campus Community Dissemination Jul-2012
- Policy updated Fall 2017
- Updated Spring 2020; rejected by MMA due to inaccurate language in the procedure; to be reviewed Spring 2021
- Updated Spring 2021. Approved 26 May 2021 by President Rolando Garcia.