Name: Degrees and Certificates Policy
Effective Date: May 13, 2022
Next Review Date: AY 2026–2027
- MinnState Board Policy 3.36 – Academic Programs Policy
- MinnState System Procedure 3.36.1 – Academic Programs Procedure
- MinnState Operating Instruction – 126.96.36.199 Course Number Convention
- MinnState Operating Instruction – 188.8.131.52 Media Codes
Part 1. Policy Statement
The Degrees and Certificates Policy guides the granting of awards and requirements needed for completion.
Part 2. General Education Philosophy
North Hennepin Community College values independent thinking, creativity, and teamwork; students develop lifelong learning skills to prepare them for the interdependent, changing global economy. General education provides a foundation of knowledge in a variety of disciplines; students learn to communicate, think, and apply what they learn in their family, career and social lives.
At North Hennepin Community College, learners expand their intellectual capacity by developing a deeper, broader understanding of the world and building communication and thinking skills. Learners make life decisions by reflecting on their values, connecting them to what they learn, and applying them as engaged citizens. They engage in scholarly activities, develop an understanding and appreciation of culture, and enjoy the pursuit of knowledge.
At North Hennepin Community College the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) provides the general education distribution requirements for the degree programs. The MnTC is designed to give students a college-level general education curriculum that focuses on the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful in modern society.
Part 3. Campus Review
|Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Review:||4/25/2022—4/29/2022|
|Campus Community Review Period:||3/7/2022—3/23/2022|
|Shared Governance Council Review:||4/15/2022|
|Student Senate Review:||4/21/2022|
|President Rolando Garcia Approval:||5/13/2022|
|Campus Community Dissemination:||5/23/2022|
- Formerly NHCC III-0202
- Date of Adoption
- Reviewed 12-21-15 to reflect changes to board procedure and to lower residency requirement to 15 credits.
- Reviewed 11-16-21 updated to reflect changes to board changes in adding 3.63.1 (Course Numbering Convention) &184.108.40.206 (Media Codes) and In Part 2, updated the academic program goals, In part 6, added “Colleges and universities shall only offer academic programs that are approved by the chancellor and recorded in the academic program inventory.” and applied the new writing and formatting styles.
- Reviewed Fall 2022