Name: Tobacco Use and Sale Procedure
Effective Date: 26 May 2021
Next Review Date: AY 2025–202
Part 1. Restrictions
Subpart A. Smoking
Smoking is prohibited in college facilities and grounds except as permitted under Part 2.
Subpart B. Smokeless Tobacco
The use of smokeless tobacco is prohibited in college facilities and grounds except as permitted under Part 2.
Subpart C. E-Cigarettes
The use of e-cigarettes is prohibited in college facilities and grounds except as permitted under Part 2.
Part 2. Exceptions
Smoking and smokeless tobacco use is only permitted in designated areas except as follows:
- This policy does not apply to specific activities used in connection with the practice of cultural activities including those of American Indians that are in accordance with the American Indian Religious Freedom Act, 42 U.S.C. sections 1996 and 1996a. Arrangements for such exceptions must be in well ventilated areas, conform to local fire code requirements and must coordinate advance approval with NHCC Public Safety.
- Tobacco use or products for instructional purposes in laboratory and classroom instruction/experiments, or artistic purposes is permitted, but all research, educational, and/or artistic purposes that involve the use of tobacco on campus, and must coordinate advance approval with NHCC Public Safety. Such use must be preceded by reasonable advance notice to the public.
Part 3. Designated Smoking Area
Smoking and smokeless tobacco use is only permitted in designated smoking areas. The area will be marked with clear signage.
Designated areas will be a minimum of 20 feet from building entrances and ventilation intakes.
Part 4. Enforcement
The Public Safety Department is responsible for enforcement of the Tobacco Use and Sale policy and procedure. The Public Safety Department will monitor the campus for violators and notify offenders of the policy and procedure. Compliance and enforcement of this policy will depend on the cooperation of all students, employees, and visitors to promote a clean, safe, and healthy environment in which to work, study, and live. North Hennepin Community College will enforce the policy to its fullest extent, which may include, but is not limited to, disciplinary actions and/or sanctions.
Employee violations may be handled through the progressive disciplinary process as outlined in the employee’s bargaining unit contract. Student violations may be subject to sanctions per the Student Conduct policy (3.6 and 3.6.1). Individuals not subject to employee and/or student sanctions may be issued a citation and/or trespass from college property.
Part 5. Cessation Programs and Services
To support North Hennepin Community College students who wish to reduce and/or quit using tobacco products, a variety of tobacco cessation resources and services are available through the Counseling Center in the Educational Services building. Employees who wish to reduce and/or quit using tobacco products may contact the Employee Assistance Program or their health plan provider for information about tobacco cessation programs available to state employees.
Part 6. Campus Review
|Campus Community Review Period:||5 Mar 2021–26 Mar 2021|
|Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Review:||3 May 2021|
|AFSCME Review:||5 Apr 2021–14 May 2021|
|MAPE Review:||5 Apr 2021–14 May 2021|
|MMA Review:||5 Apr 2021–14 May 2021|
|Shared Governance Council Review:||14 May 2021|
|Student Senate Review:||29 April 2021|
|President Rolando Garcia Approval:||26 May 2021|
|Campus Community Dissemination:||14 June 2021|
- Rewritten to replace previous policy in place since 1999.
- Revised spring 2015 to remove smoking zone near the plant services building.Moved smoking area from east side of campus center to west side.
- Revised spring 2020 to adopt tobacco free campus. Not passed by Student Senate, to be reviewed Spring 2021—they desire designated smoking areas in the far reaches of the parking lot; concerns about inequity of allowing students to smoke in their cars.
- Revised Spring 2021 to allow smoking in designated areas only. Approved 26 May 2021 by President Rolando Garcia.