Name: Acceptance of Transfer Credit Policy
Author: Transfer Advisory Group
Effective Date: July 20, 2023
Next Review Date: AY 2027–2028
- Minnesota State Board Policy 3.21, Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer
- Minnesota State Board Procedure 3.21.1, Undergraduate Course Credit Transfer
Part 1. Policy Background.
The purpose of this policy is to establish consistent practices for accepting credit for undergraduate college-level courses transferred into North Hennepin Community College.
Part 2. Definitions.
Subpart A. Official Transcript.
A transcript is a copy of a student’s permanent academic record, including all courses taken, all grades received, all honors received and degrees conferred to a student. An official transcript is prepared and sent, either in a sealed envelope or electronically through a secure transcript site, by the issuing school. Hand delivered official transcripts must be in their original, sealed envelope.
Subpart B. Accreditation.
Colleges or universities that are accredited by a regional or national accrediting body recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation www.chea.org.
Subpart C. Professional/Occupational Courses.
Any course or program that falls into one of the following nine occupation categories:
- Professional, Technical, and Managerial Occupations
- Clerical and Sales Occupations
- Service Occupations
- Agricultural, Fishery, Forestry, and Related Occupations
- Processing Occupations
- Machine Trades Occupations
- Benchwork Occupations
- Structural Work Occupations
- Miscellaneous Occupations
Subpart D. Comparable or Equivalent Courses.
A comparable or equivalent course is one that is similar in nature, content and level of expected student performance on course outcomes at a minimum of a 75% match to a North Hennepin Community College course.
Subpart E. Semester vs. Quarter.
A semester is traditionally defined as a period of study that lasts 14‐16 weeks on average; a quarter is a period of study that lasts 10‐12 weeks on average. To convert one type of credit hour to another the calculation is as follows:
- Semester Units = Quarter Units x .67
- Quarter Units = Semester Units 1.5
- Originating Institution: College or university issuing official transcript
Part 3. Acceptance of Transfer Credit Policy.
Transfer of credit from a college or university to North Hennepin Community College shall involve at least four considerations:
- Educational quality of the learning experience which the student transfers,
- Comparability of the nature, content and level of the learning experience offered by North Hennepin Community College, and
- Appropriateness and applicability of the learning experience to the programs offered by NHCC in light of the student’s educational goals, and
- Any applicable accreditation requirements.
Part 4. Campus Review
|Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee Review||4/17/2023 – 5/12/2023|
|Campus Community Review Period||3/2/2023 – 3/24/2023|
|AFSCME Review||4/17/2023 – 5/12/2023|
|MAPE Review||4/17/2023 – 5/12/2023|
|MMA Review||4/17/2023 – 5/12/2023|
|Shared Governance Council Review||4/21/2023|
|Student Senate Review||4/20/2023|
|Campus Community Dissemination||7/20/2023|
- Adopted, August 2005
- Revised, December 2008
- Revised December 2012
- Changed calculation of quarter to semester credits
- Reviewed Spring 2017
- Reviewed Spring 2022, completed review process Spring 2023.