Degrees offered in business, human services, and computer science through weekend courses.
BROOKLYN PARK, MN – Designed for working adults, North Hennepin Community College (NHCC) is launching Weekend College beginning fall 2022 to assist students in completing an associate degree in business, human services, and computer science, via courses on Friday nights and Saturdays. Courses will be delivered online and hybrid (a mix of in-person and online).
“We are excited to see this opportunity come to light,” said Julio Vargas-Essex, Interim Provost. “NHCC conducted a regional needs assessment in May 2021 to identify programs and services in response to education and labor market trends in the region. The result is a pathway for community members to pursue a college degree close to home in high-demand careers that can accommodate their busy lives.”
In addition, NHCC will offer dedicated staffing on Saturdays once a month beginning August 27 for students to get assistance throughout the enrollment process, including financial aid, career support, applying to the college, testing, and registering for spring 2023 semester courses.
In fall 2023, the college is planning to add more degree programs in business, computer science, and public health, in addition to stackable credentials and certificates. NHCC students will have the opportunity to enter the workforce, change careers, or pick up a specialty in their field by taking classes on weekends and earning a degree, skill or industry certificate.
Hanover Research conducted the study reviewing degree completion trends for NHCC’s programs, demographic data for NHCC’s service region (Anoka, Hennepin, Ramsey, Sherburne, and Wright counties), and real-time job postings intelligence analysis. Highlights of the study include:
- 20% of the region’s residents age 25 and older have completed a high school diploma, and another 20% have completed some college
- Health care and social assistance is the largest industry sector in the region, and most of the high-growth and high-volume occupations are in allied health roles
- Between 2018 and 2048, the total regional population is expected to grow from 2.4 million to 3.0 million, and the adult population ages 25-54 is expected to grow by a total of 22.7%
- July 26, Admissions Fast Track event where students can complete enrollment steps in one day
- August 15, last day to apply for fall 2022 semester
- August 22, fall 2022 semester begins