This fall will be an exciting one at NHCC! We have four new courses launching and one of them is grant funded and tuition free! Get all the info you need, below!
GCST 1970 Environmental Justice and Nature Immersion Experience taught by Ana Munro.
- Read a full description of this new course right here on our blog!
PSYC 2360 Psychology, Race, and Law taught by Sean Payton.
- Course Description: This course will examine the interaction between psychology, the legal system and race. Topics we will explore (but are not limited to) include: eyewitness memory, the insanity defense, involuntary civil commitment, forensic evaluation in cases of child sexual abuse, false confessions, profiling, and child custody determinations. The class addresses various controversies in the law, including jury selection, jury decision-making, police interrogations and confessions, use of lie-detector tests, eyewitness testimony, repressed and recovered memories, and the role of psychologists as expert witnesses. We will survey real-world examples of what may be current at the time. These real-world examples will describe scenarios and cases that illustrate or explain an important legal concept or psychological principle covered in the chapter or section being discussed in class. This course provides a strong foundation of understanding for individuals interested in Forensic Psychology, Criminal Justice and Law.
- Course Notes: Two Minnesota Transfer Curriculum Goals are met by taking this course, Goal 05 and Goal 09.
- Course Dates: This course starts on August 23, 2022 and goes until December 17, 2022.
- Course Times: Students will attend this class on-campus from 11am to 12:20pm, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
(Although not a new course, Sean Payton’s African American Civil Rights Immersion Experience course returns again this fall! Learn more about it here).
GWS/GCST 1509 Global Feminism (also a late start course!) taught by Rhonda Italiano.
- Course Description: This course will introduce students to issues related to feminism around the world. We will analyze gender inequality cross-culturally. We will also examine efforts to accomplish social justice for women and girls worldwide.
- Course Notes: Two Minnesota Transfer Curriculum Goals are met by taking this course, Goal 08 and Goal 09.
- Course Dates: Note this is a late start course! It starts on October 17, 2022 and goes until December 17, 2022.
- Course Times: Students will attend this course completely online, class times are to be determined.
SOC 1990 Community Violence Prevention (a new, tuition free course!) taught by Aspen Chen and Antonio Smith.
- Course Description: This FREE course provides students the knowledge and efficacy to help reduce violence in communities. Students will learn about the individual and societal explanations of community violence. Students will also study the strategies and engage in the practical work of strengthening communities.
- Course Notes: **Students who register for this course will receive a scholarship to cover tuition, books, and fees.**
- Course Dates: This course starts on August 24, 2022 and goes until December 7, 2022.
- Course Times: The format of this class is blended/hybrid and it goes from 6:30 to 8:30 on Wednesday nights.
Sociology faculty, Dr. Aspen Chen, took the time to share his thoughts on the benefits and purpose of his new Community Violence Prevention course with us.
"For fall 2022, we are offering a pilot course in community violence prevention. Students of this course will learn about the biological, psychological and social dynamics governing violence. Students will also meet professionals in various fields that work on mitigating or responding to violence. At the end of the class, students will acquire hands-on experiences in tackling the issue of violence. We welcome students from all backgrounds and fields! Tuition for the community violence prevention course is free. Seats are limited.”
From brand-new courses, to college classics this fall is a great time to learn something new. Having trouble registering for classes? We're always here to help you!