Free college tuition is coming to NHCC fall 2024.
Free College Tuition Through The North Star Promise
Starting fall 2024, the North Star Promise (NSP) Scholarship Program will provide eligible Minnesota residents a tuition-free path to a college education.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Do you have a family adjusted gross income of less than $80,000?
- Are you a Minnesota resident with no bachelor's degree?
- Will you be a new or returning student at NHCC in fall 2024?
If you answered "yes" to these questions, then you may be eligible for free college at NHCC!
Review the details below to learn more.
- Be a Minnesota resident
- Have a family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act Application below $80,000.
- Attend a Minnesota public higher education institution or Tribal College
- Not be in default on a state or federal student loan
- Be enrolled taking at least one credit
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards
- Have not already earned a bachelor's degree
- Be enrolled in a program or course of study that applies to a degree, diploma, or certificate
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will calculate your family adjusted gross income when you complete the FAFSA.
If you're considered a dependent student on the FAFSA, your parents' adjusted gross income will be pulled from their tax return. Learn more about family adjusted gross income for dependents here.
If you're considered an independent student on the FAFSA, your family adjusted gross income will be pulled from your tax return, or your joint tax return if you filed jointly with your spouse.
Learn more about how FAFSA determines whether you're a dependent student or independent student here.
- Complete the 2024/2025 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Minnesota Dream Act Application. The 2024/2025 FAFSA will be available January 1, 2024.
- There is no additional application beyond the FAFSA or Minnesota Dream Act Application. NHCC will assess your eligibility on a term-by-term basis and award NSP Scholarships to all eligible students.
You don't need to be a "new student." The program is open to new, returning, and current NHCC students who qualify and will continue to be calculated on a term-by-term basis.
- To be eligible, you must have an adjusted gross income of $80,000 or less.
- If you're considered a "dependent student" on the FAFSA, you'll use your parents' income information.
- If you're considered an "independent student" on the FAFSA, you'll use your own income information (and, if you’re married, your spouse’s).
- Learn more about dependent and independent FAFSA status.
By completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you'll automatically be considered for federal grants and the NSP (free college) scholarship program.
Yes, NHCC students who meet the eligibility requirements can get their tuition and fee costs covered through the NSP.
There are no maximum award/dollar amounts, but there are credit limits: 60 credits for an associate degree and 120 credits for a bachelor's degree.
NSP is a "last-dollar" program, which means it will cover all tuition and fee costs that remain after scholarships, grants, and tuition waivers have been applied.
Good question. NSP is a "last-dollar" program, which means it will cover all tuition and eligible fee costs that remain after scholarships, grants, and tuition waivers have been applied.
There are other costs that are not covered by NSP. This includes the cost of textbooks, course materials, course supplies, and other costs related to being a student.
Stay Informed on Free College Tuition
Don't miss out on the possibility of free college tuition. Complete the form below to receive information on timelines, what to do, and opportunities to learn more about free college at NHCC. We'll also send useful information on the program you're interested in and getting started at NHCC.
What if I'm Not Eligible?
If you're not eligible for free college through the NSP program, NHCC is still a great option to consider. Here are a few reasons NHCC is a smart choice.
NHCC is One of the Most Affordable Colleges in Minnesota
Not only does NHCC have an affordable tuition to begin with, there's also a tuition freeze through 2025, which means there will be no tuition increases through 2025.
Take Advantage of Grants or Scholarships
- Grants and scholarships are free money you don't have to pay back.
- Last year, 50% of scholarship applicants at NHCC received a scholarship of $500-$5,000.
- At NHCC, 48% of eligible students receive grants that average more than $3,500.
Save on Your Bachelor's by Starting at NHCC and Transferring
- NHCC offers 40+ transfer-focused programs.
- If you plan to get your bachelor's, you can save thousands by starting at NHCC and transferring. Find out how much you can save.
- You can get your bachelor's on NHCC's campus through university partnerships.
Get a Degree at the Halfway Point
- When you get your AA or AS degree at NHCC and then transfer to get a bachelor's degree, you have your associate degree at the halfway point to your bachelor's. If you go to a university, you only have credits at the halfway point.
- You'll be able to use your associate degree to improve your career while you're finishing your bachelor's degree.
Apply for Free
Monday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.