NHCC Department of Theatre
Where do air guitar fanatics go to express their inner shred genius? They’re found in dive bars and cramped stages across the U.S. as they battle it out in competition in order to qualify for the National Air Guitar Championship!
When Nina enters her first air guitar competition, she thinks winning will be easy. But when she befriends a group of charismatic nerds all committed to becoming the next great air guitar champion, she discovers that there's more to this art form than playing pretend; it's about finding yourself in your favorite songs and performing with raw joy.
Will Nina be able to let go and set herself free onstage?
Following her mission to shred or be shredded, Airness is an exuberant reminder that everything we need to rock is already inside us.
A comedy about competition, completion, and finding the "airness" inside yourself.
“This all might be pretend, but it’s serious pretend.”
Produced by special arrangement with Playscripts, Inc. (www.playscripts.com).
Zuhaib Abdi, NHCC STUDENT
Andy Boese, NHCC STUDENT
Douglas Cox, NHCC STUDENT
Marsa Mason, NHCC STUDENT
Wealth Ndego, NHCC STUDENT
Han Rhee, NHCC STUDENT
Max Wagner, NHCC STUDENT
Rob Winder, NHCC STUDENT
DIRECTED BY DR. IRMA MAYORGA, THEATRE FACULTY
COSTUME DESIGN, HEIDI BATZ
SCENIC & LIGHTING DESIGN, LISA KUDAS
SOUND DESIGN, TOM SHERMAN
CHOREOGRAPHER, MARTINOA MAYOTTE
TECHNICAL DIRECTION, LISA KUDAS
SOUND ENGINEER, MIKE MANTINI
Strong language & profanity
This production will make use of stage fog, flashing lights, and loud music
Because the venue for this performance is quite small and due to mature subject matter, we do not recommend bringing children under the age of 14 to this performance.
Length of performance: approx. 100 minutes
All NHCC students receive 2 FREE tickets!
Reservations strongly encouraged.
You will be redirected to our MicroSoft Forms ticket reservation system.
- Please know that no one will be turned away because of an inability to pay.
- No payment of any kind is required to make a seating reservation.
- Our Box Office will open approximately 30 minutes before each performance. The Box Office will be located on the second floor of the NHCC Campus Center.
- All ticket sales for NHCC Department of Theatre & Film productions are used exclusively to help to sustain the Department of Theatre & Film’s creative work with NHCC students.
- General admission seating.
Please plan to arrive early to the performance in order to check in and find your seating. Late seating will be at the discretion of house managers.
- Masks are not required on the NHCC campus, and they are not required for audience members to attend this performance.
- All persons who need or require the protection that masks provide for medical conditions are encouraged to wear masks during their attendance.
- Audience members will not be required to physically distance within the theater.
- Proof of vaccination is not required for attendance.
WHEN TO STAY HOME // KEEPING AUDIENCE MEMBERS SAFE
If you or someone in your party is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms (such as fever, a sore throat, chills, cough, shortness of breath, congestion, nausea, or vomiting), we strongly encourage you to stay home.
OR if you are experiencing common cold OR flu symptoms (especially coughing & sneezing) on the date of your selected attendance to this performance, we strongly encourage you to stay home.
On the evening of each performance, our physical Box Office will be located directly next to the Black Box Theatre's entrance on the 2nd floor of NHCC Campus Center. Be on the lookout for a large table and Box Office personnel seated at the table.
- Our Box Office will "open" approximately 30 minutes before each performance.
- Please check-in at the Box Office to obtain your FREE ticket/s or to check in for your online reservation.
- Audience members will be seated approximately 10 minutes before each performance.
We kindly request on time arrivals for each production's scheduled start time - late arrivals will be seated in the theater at the discretion of house managers.
All performances will be held in the NHCC Black Box Theater on the North Hennepin Community College campus in Brooklyn Park, MN (7411 85th Avenue North, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445).
- The NHCC Black Box Theater is located on the 2nd floor of the NHCC Campus Center building.
- The NHCC Campus Center building is located in the center of campus.
- An elevator is available in the Campus Center for access to the second floor. The elevator is located near the main doors on the south side of the Campus Center (directly by door #36, which faces the Health & Wellness Center building).
Free surface lot parking is available in the following locations:
- East Parking Lot.
- Entrance at the intersection of 85th Ave. North & College Parkway. Park next to the Center for Liberal Arts or the Center for Business Technology and walk to the Campus Center. Note: you must walk through either the Center for Liberal Arts or the Center for Business Technology to easily and successfully reach the Campus Center building. These buildings are open in the evening until 10:30PM.
- West Parking Lot.
- Entrance at the intersection of West Broadway & 84th Ave. North. Park next to the Science Center or Fine Arts Center and walk to the Campus Center. Note: you must walk through either the Science Center or Fine Arts Center to easily and successfully reach the Campus Center building. These buildings are open in the evening until 10:30PM.
This production will run approx. 100 minutes with no intermission.
ASL interpretation will be provided one performance, TBA. Please contact us at email@example.com for further information.
Please check-in with our Box Office when you arrive to learn where ASL interpreters will be positioned in the seating area.
The Black Box Theatre is located on the 2nd floor of the NHCC Campus Center.
An elevator is available in the Campus Center for access to the second floor. The elevator is located near the main doors on the south side of the Campus Center (directly by door #36, which faces the Health & Wellness Center building).
Our theater will have designated wheelchair/limited mobility seating areas that can be reached without navigating steps.