image of student in hallway 

Welcome to NHCC spring semester starting January 10! Here's what you can expect. 

  • Register for Spring

    Spring registration is coming soon. Plan ahead and view course options, or meet with an academic advisor by scheduling an appointment via Navigate or calling 763-424-0703. 

    • Tuesday, October 26: students with 40+ credits
    • Wednesday, October 27: students with 30+ credits
    • Thursday, October 28: students with 20+ credits
    • Friday, October 29: students with 0+ credits
    • Monday, November 8: PSEO students
  • Important Online Resources During COVID-19

    • Student Resources– computer and Wi-Fi access, tutorials on email, mobile apps, Zoom, D2L-Brightspace and more!
    • Student Services – connect remotely with student services for assistance with academic advising, tutoring, library services, food cupboard, and more!
    • COVID-19 – view campus updates, complete the health assessment before entering campus, submit a student illness report, and more!
  • Before Classes Start

  • In Your First Week

  • In Your First Two Weeks and Beyond        

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    • How will my course be delivered?

      Your NHCC courses will be offered in a variety of delivery methods, including traditional in-person, blended/hybrid, mostly online, completely online – asynchronous, completely online – synchronous, and hyflex. Visit the Class Delivery Options webpage for information about online courses. To see how your course will be delivered, visit eServices, search for a course, and view the ‘Delivery Method.’

    • What if I don’t have access to technology to take online courses?

      Click here to view more information on computer, Wi-Fi, and hotspot resources.

    • When is tuition due for spring?

      Spring tuition is due January 8, 2022. If registered after this date, tuition is due January 15, 2022.Click here for more information on tuition deadlines. Visit the Tuition Payment webpage for more information. Questions? Contact Accounting and Fees at 763-424-0718 or

    • Is the health clinic offering services?

      Yes, the health clinic is offering in-person services. No appointment required, just stop in during service hours. Visit the Health Clinic webpage for hours and additional information. 

    • Am I able to access the Food Cupboard?

      All enrolled students, including students enrolled in the University Center, can access the Food Cupboard. Located in Educational Services 120 (ES 120), we provide ready-to-eat food, staples, as well as supplementary items such as toothpaste, shampoo, and other hygiene products. We are happy to help students access other community resources as well. Visit the Food Cupboard webpage for more information. 

    • Am I able to access the Mother’s Room?

      The mother’s room in the Campus Center is accessible to parents who need space to feed children, nurse, or utilize a pump. Individuals needing access to the Mother’s Room may contact Student Life at or 763-424-0804 or Public Safety at 763-424-0807.

    • What community resources are available to me?

      Visit the Community Connections Resource Center to get connected to community resources to overcome barriers to academic success, including healthcare, housing and energy assistance, access to the food pantry and SNAP, money management and more. In addition, students who are experiencing financial hardship and are facing an unforeseen financial barrier, such as a car repair, medical costs, childcare, transportation, food, bills or other needs they cannot meet, can apply for emergency grant funds. Please contact the CARE Center for more information at 763-493-0554 or

    • What counseling and mental health resources are available to me?

      Visit Counseling Services to access a variety of campus and community resources, including a 24/7 support line and crisis text line. Contact the Care Center at 763-493-0554 or to schedule an appointment with an NHCC counselor.

    • I am a Veteran, how do I find out about benefits and resources?

      Please contact Janet Lorenzo ( or Anong Thor ( for any questions; you can also send an email to

    • I am an International Student and have questions about my status and/or travel?

      Please contact your international student advisor at for questions about status or travel.    

    • Whom should I contact if I have questions or concerns?

      Contact the Information Center for questions or concerns at 763-424-0702 or

Important Dates