Assessment and Placement is required of all students (unless exempt by waiver)! The ACCUPLACER Placement Test assesses your skills in reading, writing and math, and identifies which class(es) best fit your skill level.
Prepare for your Placement Test
It's a good idea to spend some time in review and preparation. It will help you know what to expect, and will likely help you improve your score.
Sample questions in hard-copy form (contact the Testing Center)
Placement Test Information and Guidelines
Schedule your appointment early by contacting the Testing Center at 763-424-0928. Only admitted students may test.
- Allow up to 3 hours for the test (see Testing Schedule in the right column).
- Arrive on time. The Testing Center is located in ES-108.
- Bring your NHCC Student ID number and picture identification.
- No unnecessary materials are allowed. Book bags, etc. are to be stored in the Testing Center entry. Cell phones and pagers are to be turned off. No food, beverages or gum allowed.
- Calculators are not allowed/ Scratch paper is provided. Tests, scratch paper or related test materials must be turned in when you leave.
- Cheating is prohibited. If cheating is detected, your test will be taken immediately, you will be asked to leave, and the appropriate follow up made.
- Course placements are mandatory. Students who place into a course numbered below 1000 level are required to enroll in and complete that course before registering for the next level course in that discipline. Students who place into either an ADEV reading course or ESOL reading course, are required to register for this course in their first term at NHCC.
- Adult Basic Education Information is available for students that score at the ABE level.
If you have a disability preventing you from taking the Placement Test under standard conditions, you may request accommodations (for example, a reader, scribe, or extra time) from the Disability Access Services Office before testing.
Distance Proctoring/Testing for another Institution
When scheduling a Placement Test appointment, indicate which MnSCU institution you will be attending.
Bring your tech ID number from the institution you have applied at and intend to register for classes.
Picture ID is required.
Placement Test Waiver
Assessment and placement is mandatory. However, you may qualify for a Placement Test Waiver if you meet one of the following:
- Successful completion (2.0 GPA or higher) of college-level algebra and English composition courses at an accredited college or university.
- Recent* ACT sub-scores of 22 or higher in math, 18 or higher in English or 21 or higher in reading. (ACT score report cannot be older than three years for English and two years for math).
- ACCUPLACER test scores are valid three years; two years for the Math.
Transfer Test Scores
Tests that are routinely administered by Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) include:
- ACCUPLACER (CPT),
- ACCUPLACER Companion, and
- ACCUPLACER (ESL).
Students may request to have ACCUPLACER tests scores from another institution evaluated for course placement at NHCC by submitting a copy of the ACCUPLACER test results and the Placement Test Waiver to the Testing Center.
Retests are allowed once a semester and only until course work has begun in that discipline.
- Retests carry a fee of $10.