The College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. Over 2,900 colleges grant credit and/or advanced standing for CLEP exams.
Prepare for CLEP
Most public libraries and area bookstores carry CLEP study guides including The Official Study Guide for CLEP Exams. Individual study guides may also be purchased directly from CLEP.
Register for CLEP
Complete the NHCC CLEP Registration Form and submit with the $20 service fee (check or money order only, no cash) for each exam to the Testing Center. In addition to the $20 service fee, CLEP requires a $80 CLEP fee per exam. CLEP accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express or a personal check. The Testing Center will contact you to schedule an appointment for your exam based on your registration form.
The Testing Center administers the CLEP exams Monday-Friday. Times are subject to change during summer and term breaks. Each exam is approximately 90 minutes in length. Students may take no more than two exams in one session.
- Official test scores/results are displayed after each test, and students receive a copy. If the exam is an essay, CLEP will mail a copy of your score.
- To request CLEP to send an official transcript of your score to a college or university, you may either:
a. Complete question 26 during the CLEP login procedure, or
b.Complete the order form that is available with your score print-out.
CLEP charges $20 for transcript services and will send the transcript approximately two weeks of the request.
- CLEP Credits are granted for passing scores.
- Each college or university determines how many CLEP credits are accepted. Before registering for CLEP exams, check with the College Registrar to find out how CLEP credits will be accepted.
- CLEP credits appear on your NHCC transcript as transfer credits and only list the number of transfer credits awarded. The name of the actual CLEP exam is NOT listed. For a detailed listing of how CLEP was applied to your academic record, review your Degree Audit Report (DARS).
- CLEP credits do not satisfy the residency requirement for graduation at NHCC.