Student Support Services/TRIO is a federally funded program through the U.S. Department of Education that provides academic support to students who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First Generation (neither parent has a bachelor's degree)
- Low Income
- Documented Disability
We are no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2014 academic year. Please check back in May 2015 to apply for the Fall 2015 academic year.
Click here to view the Fall 2014 newsletter.
In support of our nation’s call to provide educational opportunity for all Americans regardless of ethnic background or economic circumstances, the United States Congress established a series of academic support programs to help low-income Americans enter college and graduate.
These programs, referred to as the TRIO Programs (initially just three programs) are funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Student Support Services is one of those programs and has been providing academic support for students at North Hennepin Community College since 1990.
Our mission is to help students recognize their strengths, develop their skills, and achieve their academic goals.
Services are FREE to program participants thanks to a grant from the U.S. Department of Education and in-kind support from North Hennepin Community College.
Enrollment is limited to 230 students per year.
- Personalized academic advising for degree planning, career exploration, strategies for improving grades, help with the financial aid process, transfer and finding connections to resources
- Regular weekly one-on-one sessions with professional Math and Writing tutors
- Workshops throughout the year such as Scholarship Search and Writing, Improving Writing and Math Skills, and Career Exploration
- Guided tours to four-year colleges and universities
- Cultural events, educational tours, recognition celebrations and other original events
- Watch a short video clip about a successful NHCC SSS/TRIO student!
- Join our group on Facebook! Find us by searching for SSS/TRIO - North Hennepin Community College.