The Conversation Partners program at NHCC pairs students who are in the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program with students, staff, and faculty whose foundation language is English. The goal of the program is to strengthen discussion skills, expand knowledge of cultures, and build relationships across NHCC's campus. This is a voluntary program; partners meet at least one hour a week at a mutually agreed upon location to converse and get to know each other.
The minimum commitment is 10 hours, with the aim to continue for at least one semester. These hours may be used for Service Learning requirements, and in some cases extra credit - confirm program requirements or check with your instructor. Topics and format of the meetings are up to the participants, however, suggestions for conversations are provided. The time commitment for this program is minimal compared to the benefits you get from participating.
- Expanding your understanding of people, the world, and cross-cultural communication
- Making new friends
- Learning other languages or dialects
- Discussing global issues from other perspectives
- Attend a 50 minute training workshop (check below for dates and times)
- Fill out an application (new and returning partners)
- Complete at least 10 hours of meeting time with partner
Fall 2013 Training Workshops
- Thursday, 09/05/13, 9:00 AM - 9:50 AM, CBT 167
- Thursday, 09/05/13, 2:00 PM - 2:50 PM, CBT 167
- Friday, 09/06/13, 10:00 AM - 10:50 AM, CBT 167
- Friday, 09/06/13, 3:00 PM - 3:50 PM, CBT 167
- Monday, 09/09/13, 11:00 AM - 11:50 AM, CBT 174
- Monday, 09/09/13, 4:00 PM - 4:50 PM, CBT 174
- Wednesday, 09/11/13, 9:00 AM - 9:50 AM, CBT 167
- Wednesday, 09/11/13, 2:00 PM - 2:50 PM, CBT 174
We will also be holding workshops on Student Success Day, 09/10/13!
To learn more about the Conversation Partners program, please review the Conversation Partners program brochure.