The Associate in Arts degree is awarded for successful completion of 60 credits and is designed for transfer to constitute the first two years of a liberal arts bachelor degree program. An A.A. degree includes the entire Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (40 semester credits in all 10 goal areas) as the general education requirement. Students may also choose to concentrate in a particular field of study in preparation for a planned major or professional emphasis at a four-year college by following the pre-major requirements of the desired transfer institution in addition to the MnTC and A.A. requirements.
- Earn a grade point average of 2.00 (C) or higher in courses taken at North Hennepin Community College.
- Earn a minimum of 20 semester credits of the 60 semester credits required for the A.A. Degree at NHCC.
- Complete the general education distribution requirement listed in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. The student shall select general education (MnTC) courses numbered 1000 or above to complete a minimum of 40 credits in all 10 goal areas.
- Have four years to complete the graduation requirements as published in the catalog in effect at the time of their initial enrollment. Students taking longer than four years to complete their graduation requirements may follow any catalog published during the four-year period preceding their graduation.
Required Course Distribution
- Complete 40 credits in the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum satisfying the requirements for each of the 10 goal areas.
- Complete at least 4 credits for the Wellness requirement with at least one course from each of the following areas: Health (all courses) and Physical Education (all courses).
- Complete 16 elective credits selected from all courses listed in the College’s offerings, which are numbered 1000 or higher. If the student intends to transfer, he/she is encouraged to work with a counselor or adviser to fulfill requirements for transfer to the other institution.